Your Child’s Evaluation for Peace of Mind & Proper Planning
Parents are usually relieved to learn that an early evaluation for children’s orthodontics in Fort Wayne, IN, and the Roanoke and Huntington, IN, areas at Legacy Dental is NOT about getting braces. Rather, overall oral health is affected by proper alignment and symmetry of your smile, jaw, and face. Your child’s early evaluation is not only for aesthetics but will also help guide the growth and development of your child’s jaw and teeth – preventing more serious problems later.
At Legacy Dental, we evaluate erupting teeth to detect issues such as a possible overbite, open bite, crowding, or gummy smiles. We can tell if your child will benefit from early treatment, as many potential problems may not be visibly apparent until prevention is too late. Beginning treatment at this optimal time not only ensures the greatest result but also means less time and expense down the road.
Signs that Your Child Needs an Orthodontic Assessment
Treatment at this early stage may not even be necessary. However, it is especially important to schedule a screening if you notice any of the following conditions in your child:
- Crowded or misplaced teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting food
- Early loss of baby teeth
- Mouth breathing
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Jaws that “pop” when opening and closing
- Misaligned teeth that close abnormally or without touching
- Jaws and teeth that are not in proportion to the rest of the face
What Is the Benefit of Early Treatment?
While parents don’t need to rush into obtaining braces for their young children, some oral health issues can be avoided with early screening and treatment, including:
- Open bites – When the upper and lower teeth are unable to physically touch each other when the jaws are closed
- Crossbites – When the two rows of teeth don’t meet correctly. A misaligned bite can cause tooth decay, gum disease, stress on the jaw muscles, headaches, and more
- Speech impediments - When your child's teeth are not positioned properly, certain speech issues like a lisp, slurring words, or mispronouncing consonant sounds can result
- Injury to protruding teeth - Genetics and certain childhood behaviors like thumb sucking and tounge thrusting can result in protruding teeth. Protruding teeth make your child more suceptible to dental trauma, but can be addressed and corrected through early evaluation
Schedule Your Child's Appointment for Children's Orthodontics in Fort Wayne, IN & the Roanoke & Huntington, IN, Areas
To experience our 5-star-rated dental care, schedule your appointment today by calling (260) 434-1133. You may also use our convenient online form. Please select General Appointment, Free Implant Consultation, Free Orthodontic Consultation, or Free Sleep Apnea Consultation from the menu when scheduling.
Your appointment will include the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Complete Exam
- Discover Your Options
- Start Treatment If Desired
During your appointment, we will take the time to explain our treatment process, flexible payment options, and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to helping you along your journey to your best smile!